Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Baseball Predictions 2007: The Dreary Recap

I am a pitiful prognosticator, a sad soothseer, a fallible fortune teller, and an atrocious analyst. I can't hold a stick to Miss Cleo and I am not worthy of carrying the sack of Madam Ruby's crystal ball. I stand before you today to sadly admit the sheer atrocity that was my 2007 baseball predictions.

Going into the season I had high hopes. It was the first time I attempted a league-wide estimate. I knew my baseball. How could I go wrong? Let me count the ways:

First, the American League:

Here are my original picks. As you can see, the only teams I got right were the Indians, Royals, Tigers, and Angels. Not one team from the AL East. Yes, I even got the Devil Rays wrong. Seems I was a little too supportive of the local team and picked them to finish above Baltimore. Not smart.

On to the Senior Circuit:

In the National League I did even worse, no thanks to my penchant for picking the New York Mets as favorites. Here are my original NL picks. If it wasn't for the averageness of the Braves and Cardinals and ineptitude of the Giants and Pirates, I would have blown the whole league. Speaking of the Giants, I will take one bit of credit in this regard - in my January Haiku prediction special, I predicted Barry Zito would finish around .500. He finished with 11 wins and 13 losses.

And what of the World Series-bound Colorado Rockies? Would it surprise you if I said I initially forgot about them? After posting my predictions one evening, I went to bed, woke up the next morning, and realized both the Rockies and the Cincinnati Reds were missing. Yes, I forgot the eventual National League Champions and the oldest team in professional baseball. Of course, after thinking about it, I put the Rockies in 4th, barely above the last-place Giants. Hey, no one ever mistook me for Will Carroll or Jason Stark.

Overall, I correctly scored a mind-boggling 8 of 30, or 26.6%. After this year's debacle, I am not sure I will even attempt predicting the 2008 season. Maybe I'll keep it simple and alphabetize the teams in their respective divisions and say those are my predictions. Or maybe I'll just pick the Pirates and Royals to play next October. You heard it here first.

No comments: