Friday, May 23, 2008

Florida Today doesn’t care about Eau Gallie High baseball alumni

Growing up I was a loyal reader of the Florida Today, the local newspaper in Melbourne, Florida. As a matter of fact, in the days before the Internet and my Google Reader, I got most of my sports news from the Florida Today. It was my end-all be-all for scores, news, and notes.

So it was with great disappointment that I learned that the Florida Today, the paper responsible for covering Melbourne and Melbourne-area sports stories, failed to even mention the first-ever major league match-up between Eau Gallie High baseball alumni, Boston Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield and Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder. To my knowledge, The Boston Globe was only media outlet besides my site to cover this event. To put it bluntly, the local paper dropped the ball.

After I posted about this occasion on my site and failed to find it written about on the Florida Today’s online edition, I emailed sports editor Lee Nessel and expressed my disappointment. As I received an “out of office” reply from Ms. Nessel, I re-sent my email to Mike Parsons, also of the Florida Today. Unfortunately, as of five days later, I have yet to receive a response from either representative.

I would think the major league meeting of two of Eau Gallie High’s three professional baseball alumni would have been an ideal feature for the local newspaper. To me, this was a story that could have drawn readers and significant local interest. Even Gordon Edes of The Boston Globe mentioned the idea of an Eau Gallie photographer immortalizing the event. For whatever reason, Florida Today did not seize on this opportunity. I guess Florida Today just didn’t care enough to cover it.

One Small Pitch for Baseball, One Giant Event for Commodore Alumni (The Serious Tip)

A New Power Prince (The Boston Globe - Boston.com)

2 comments:

Bruce Paine said...

That is a real shame, especially considering that they have never changed ownership. I understand that they are owned by a conglomerate and not an individual, but you think they could keep up on that. When the I35 bridge collapsed in Minneapolis the editor of the my local newspaper called my girlfriend to see if she was okay and then wrote a story with an entry line stating, "Malea Soandso, girlfriend of local man Bruce Paine, works at an architecture firm near the bridge collapse. She escaped unharmed." It was front page news.

Jordi said...

Wow. That's awesome. Humanizing a story is a great way to bring in readers, especially when it comes to something they don't experience on a regular basis.

I hate to say this, but that conglomerate uniformity is probably what limited the Florida Today. A truly independent paper might have sent up an interview, covered it, maybe even go the two to pose for pictures. Very poor on their part. But I guess that's the case when you work for The Man.