Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Novel's Rough Draft is Complete



For months this blog has been quiet. I haven't posted as much as I used to. There are a few reasons for this.

One, the internet connection at my base is garbage. They charge nearly 40 dollars a month for a 32kB download rate. For those scoring at home, that's about as slow as the beep-boop-pshhhhhhh days of the old phone modems. It's tough to download 2013 websites with a 2003 internet connection. So bringing up this website and attempting to write something every day or every week is a challenge in patience.

But the second, and much bigger reason I haven't posted here much of late is because I have been hard at work with a much larger project.

My first solo fiction book (aka novel).

I am happy to say the initial rough draft is done. And when I say it is rough, it is really rough. As a matter of fact, it is so rough I am still deliberating on one of three different titles.

(That's ok, the way I see it, Return of the Jedi was Revenge of the Jedi until a year before release. And while filming, the movie's code name was Blue Harvest. So that's three names too.)

I can however tell you what the book is about. I don't want to spoil it, but it's about baseball, the blues, the devil, the crossroads, and a deal gone wrong. It has humor, sports action, and enough mojo to hopefully keep every reader interested. At least that's the goal.

My plan now is to sit on this draft for a little while, at least until I get back to the states, then begin the editing process. There is of course a lot of work that needs to get done before I turn this draft of 120 pages and over 62,000 words of plot into a cohesive story. But such is the creative process.

I'm definitely excited.