Friday, April 13, 2018

Qatari Two Month Milestone



So it has been two months already. Month two flew by. I am still in Qatar, still doing well. Still trying new things.

Work has been good. I am working with an Army team. My past military experience has been a great way to connect. I talk to the senior leaders about shared experiences in Bosnia, etc and have provided advice to a few young soldiers. It is a very different environment from my most recent jobs, but it's a good group.

Socially, I have ventured out a bit more in the last month. I did some things with the military folks, some things on my own, and some with new local friends.

  • Attended a performance from a symphony orchestra from Kazakhstan - a complete first as it was my first symphony orchestra and the first time seeing music from Kazakhstan.

  • Attended the Qatar International Food Festival and saw Chef Wolfgang Puck.

  • Rode the sand dunes of Qatar and spent the evening at a coastal beach camp. So much fun. Sort of like an airboat ride on sand.

  • Ate dinner at Gordon Ramsey's 5-star restaurant. The salmon was amazing and the desert was fantastic.

  • Saw a local rock band and had my first two overpriced beers of my trip.

  • Spent a day at Doha's main market (Souq Wakif).
As before, pictures from my trip can be found at the link here (Suggestion: the most recent pictures are on the bottom, so start at the bottom and scroll up if you have already seen some of these.)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/grFU2O0ku7jsJwOt2

And for anyone might have missed it, my sports business research was discussed in an article on USAToday.com on the Tampa Bay Rays. I stopped writing about sports since I left, but that was a surprise I was not expecting.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/tampa-bay-rays-lightning-attendance-average-relocation-firesale-mlb

Two months in, this is still a great experience. There is so much more I have yet to do and see. And I have four months left.