Tuesday, August 14, 2018

6 Months in Qatar – The Adventure Continues a little bit longer



As many of you know, when I took this job and originally planned this trip, it was supposed to be for 6 months. As I have mentioned in previous posts, circumstances out of my control changed. When the position they said would be in Tampa disappeared, I began considering staying in Qatar a little longer. Not quite a year, but a bit more than 6 months.

That extension has officially turned into November – nine months from my departure date. But home for the holidays and the end of college football season – one of which may be more important than the other.

This is a far different extension than my previous times working with the military. As I mentioned, I live in downtown Doha, a city of 3 million people. I visit museums, eat at new restaurants, see shows and events, and have new friends in the city. I am a temporary expat staying a little longer to save some money for my next career move.

I have 3 months to find a new job – either with my company or a new company. Time to update the resume and see what catches my eye. My goal is to either have something secured or close to secured by the time I leave Qatar. Long distance interviews may be tough, but that’s what Skype is for.

But enough of what I need to do to pay the bills, here is what I have been up to over the last month:

In late July, I visited the Katara Art District. Qatar has a lavish, well-built art district with an opera house, theater, art exhibits, and an amphitheater. And it is on the coast of the city. I spent an entire afternoon there taking pictures.

The next week, I returned to the Islamic Museum of Art I visited a few months ago. At that time, a sandstorm was covering the city. This time I was able to get a few outside pictures. It too is on the water, leading to some very scenic shots.

Here is the link to all my pictures. As usual, start at the bottom. There are now over 300 pictures from my trip.

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES

Last but not least, I started driving. I received my license last month and have been taking to the roads. Once you get the hang of it, aggressive driving isn’t really intimidating. You just have to act fast.

Although I didn’t sightsee much this month – I have a few plans upcoming – I did see something that absolutely made my month: I found real Florida Orange Juice in a grocery store. Global imports are a great thing. Qatari orange juice is ok, but it is not Florida Orange Juice. I was so excited, I bought two bottles. And I will definitely be back for more of a taste of home.

Well, that wraps up another month in Qatar. As the old school hip hop song said, I’ll be gone till November. Meanwhile, the hot months are almost over and soon events will be happening in Qatar again. And I will keep writing.

Thanks for reading.