Friday, January 7, 2022

Introducing Torian Brackett, narrator of Curveball at the Crossroads


One of the elements I am incredibly excited about in regards to my debut novel, Curveball at the Crossroads, is the audiobook. When I wrote Curveball at the Crossroads, I imagined parts of it announced as part of a radio broadcast. So when I began the self-publishing process, I knew it had to eventually include an audiobook.

(Click here for Curveball at the Crossroads on Audible.)

Being that I have never recorded a book reading, I knew creating the audiobook was way out of my league. I had to bring in professionals. So I looked online and found The Audio Flow, an audiobook production company out of Chicago run by Jocqueline Protho. I called Jocqueline and spoke about the book, my ideas, and how I envisioned Curveball at the Crossroads: The Audiobook. Jocqueline was awesome and we came to a quick agreement. After a few weeks of details, she sent me an audition, claiming the voice actor she found was "perfect" and that I wouldn't need to hear anyone else.

She was right.

Torian Brackett is an actor/performer from New York City. He is the mind behind TeeBeeVO and an exceptional performer, who has graced stages, voiced video games, and been in countless commercials. He is also the same age and demographic of JaMark Reliford, the protagonist in Curveball at the Crossroads. He was indeed a perfect choice.

After connecting on social media, I had a chance to meet Torian in Orlando, Florida during the Christmas holiday. He was in town visiting family and I am only an hour away in Tampa. We met for brunch and had a great chat. We talked about the characters, their personalities, and our perceptions of them. By giving them life through sound, Torian may know my characters as intimately as I do, and that's saying a lot.

(Funny aside: my book was the first thing Torian signed as a voice actor. A book signed by him and the cover artist is going on my bookshelf. I will also have books signed by Torian, the cover artists, and myself available for sale if interested.)

Expect a video interview between me and Torian very soon. If our brunch was any indication, it will be a great discussion if you want to know the behind-the-scenes of Curveball at the Crossroads.

Check out a sample of Torian's narration in the video below and click here for the Audible link to Curveball at the Crossroads.