Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ghosts from the isles and the Isles of Personality



Another night of talking about something neat I found online:

Over at a blog called Under the Saltire Flag, Kei Miller writes about the strange pattern of Caribbean ghosts. According to folk lore, in order to prevent many spooks in Trinidad, Jamaica, and Guyana from disrupting the sleep of grown-ups and children, you are supposed to leave out something for them to count, such as rice or even the words of the Bible.

Miller speculates that the ghosts suffer from OCD.

Then, over at CultureBy.com, anthropologist Grant McCracken discusses the idea of people segmenting their lives to fit different sections of their life. McCracken writes about writer Brit Marling, who went from an analyst at Goldman Sachs to writing, staring, and producing for a show called "Earth 2". Surely, she did not use the same skill set in both careers. As McCracken postulates, she had to transform and skip from one Earth to her own personal "Earth 2". I also like the term "isle of personality" to describe this phenomenon.

Sort of like I have done with "Jordi Scrubbings". My traits have to live on different isles. It would be cool to do a thing that would bring them all to bear, but if not, I will pick and choose the tools I need to be successful in the work place.

The goal overall is not to "be" my job. I'm personally trying to avoid falling into the life of The Wizard in the cinematic classic Taxi Driver.
Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for thirteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in Brooklyn. One guy lives in Sutton Place. You got a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? I envy you, your youth. Go on, get laid, get drunk. Do anything. You got no choice, anyway. I mean, we're all fucked. More or less, ya know.
So taxi drivers are going to drive or shoot pimps because it is who they are, ghosts are going to count rice because it's who they are, and I am going to be who I am. Although considering I need a job, I am flexible. But like Meatloaf, I won't do that.

Whatever the hell that was.