Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Applying to be on The Bachelor and past beauty contests



After seeing pro wrestling friend CJ O'Doyle on Stone Cold Steve Austin's Broken Skull reality show, hip-hop friend Paradox on a tattoo contest reality show, and Miki Wingle on Survivor, I've decided the time is right for me to make my reality show debut.

I'm going to apply to be on The Bachelor.

I thought about doing this a few years ago, but didn't. Since not doing so, I was laid off twice, went to Afghanistan, and have been searching for stability since. I've also been looking for work. Maybe my life would be vastly different had I put my application in back in 2010.

But now it is 2015 and I am going to do it.

Of course, if I get selected to the show, I will have to put my 2016 US Presidential run off until 2020. According to the Bachelor eligibility rules:
Applicants may not presently be a candidate for any type of political office ("Candidate") and may not become a Candidate from the time the application is submitted until one (1) year after first broadcast of the last episode of the Program in which they appear.

But the popularity I might get for being on The Bachelor could help my presidential run. All a means to an end.

Putting together an application to be on The Bachelor reminded me of a completely informal "Hottest Blogger" contest I was part of in 2007. I don't remember too many of the details, but I submitted a pic and my blog name to a female-run blog. I ended up a 13 seed of 22 in our "bracket". Out of 572 votes, I received 216, or 38%. A blogger from a now-defunct blog called "Sunday Morning QB" beat me.

Best part of that contest was that it was first time I revealed my picture to my reading audience. During this time, I was still exclusively writing under the name "Jordi Scrubbings". And when my picture was shown, responses were interesting.
I took advantage to throw quite a few votes the way of Extrapolater, DHeitner (even though a possible 2nd round match looms), McBias, Jordi (who for some reason I thought was black?), Pyle, The If I Ran...dude, Price above Bip, and the guy holding the cat.
and
Holy sh*t, I thought Jordi was black, too! In fact, that's exactly what I told my GF when we saw the pics yesterday!

Have you been fronting all this time or something, Jordi?

And my classic response:
Well, I did attend a few classes at FAMU.

That was eight years ago. I like to think I am a much better catch now.

Hopefully, the casting folks at The Bachelor think so as well.