Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tweets to the Tampa Bay Business Journal's Top Talent Event

On Tuesday, February 24, the Tampa Bay Business Journal (TBBJ) hosted a seminar on human resources and recruiting. Entitled "Tampa Bay's Top Talent: Educate, Recruit, Retain", attendees to the event learned "how top firms are investing and enhancing talent in our community. Featuring panel discussions from leaders on apprenticeship, internships, recruitment and retention."

As most people know, I am looking for a job. I have been looking full-time since August. That is almost seven months. I've applied to over 100 jobs and had only two interviews. I've met numerous recruiters and re-written my resume too many times to count.

Although I couldn't attend, I took interest in the TBBJ Top Talent event. When I saw the editor of the TBBJ and other employees using the hashtag #TTBJTopTalent to discuss the event on social media, I took the opportunity to voice my thoughts on recruiting and human resources. I told them the struggle from my perspective - the difficulties of the person on the outside.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I am the "top talent" they were discussing. But as a military vet with nearly two master's degrees, I might be. Even if I am not the "top talent", I am still talent that wants to stay in the Tampa Bay area. Talent that is having a very difficult time.

Here are my tweets to the #TTBJTopTalent event:












While I was tweeting these, I did receive feedback from the editor of the Tampa Bay Business Journal as well as one of the TTBJ employees. So at least someone heard my voice.