Monday, February 12, 2007

A Monday with Manson (now Bryan Maddox) Part 1



As Mitch Albom once spent his Tuesdays with Morrie, here at The Serious Tip I am spending the next two Mondays posting my recent email interview with someone of a far different breed. Someone far more intimidating, scarier, and who wears more make-up than Albom’s elderly mentor. From the ranks of Florida’s independent wrestling scene, I bring to you
Bryan Manson.

(P.S. I know pro wrestling isn’t considered a sport in some circles, but it is the ides of mid-February. Not exactly the most exciting time in the sports calendar.)
____________________________________________________
The Serious Tip: Greetings Mr. Manson. So where does Bryan Manson come from? Are you the love spawn of Charles Manson?

Bryan Manson: Bryan Manson hails from the dark, twisted alleys of the mean streets of Winnipeg, Manitoba. That’s in Canada for all you geographically challenged morons out there. Oh wait. I forgot. You morons are known as Americans.

The Serious Tip: Ummm… ok. Nice third person reference there. Well, then explain the origins of Bryan Manson.

Bryan Manson: Before the dawn of the universe, there was darkness. Darkness has persisted throughout the Ages of Man. From this darkness comes Bryan Manson… that sounded cool.

The Serious Tip: Very existential. Let’s try another route. How did Bryan Manson become a wrestler?

Bryan Manson: Within every man, woman, and child is a desire to destroy. To rend and maim our fellow man. I simply chose to hone my skill under the tutelage of renowned Florida Independent Wrestling Trainer Bam Bam Mancuso at the Florida Exteme Westling House of Pain School of Professional Wrestling in Melbourne, Florida, which can be reached at (321)432-1020 or online at www.floridaextremewrestling.com/school.

The Serious Tip: (coughs)shameless plug(cough).

Bryan Manson: Gesundheit.

The Serious Tip: What is Bryan Manson’s character? How does that fit in pro wrestling?

Bryan Manson: Bryan Manson is the seemingly mindless brute controlled by his Dark Masters, Rico Moon & the Black Widow. He has many quasi-Satanic elements in his character, adding to his “dark” and “evil” image. He is also a bit of prankster, showing a touch of humor, but when things don’t go his way, he is quick to anger. Pro wrestling is a great venue for larger-than-life characters, so Bryan Manson is a perfect fit. Then again, fans are fickle, so if the evil character isn’t getting enough attention, it might be time for a change.

The Serious Tip: A change?

Bryan Manson: Dropping the evilness and going with a character that both appeals to the fans and fits myself as well. I’m not one for today’s rap music, so you can forget a Gangsta Manson, but something a little less evil, more working-class metalhead is highly possible.

The Serious Tip: That’s a shame. I like those hippity-hoppity rappin’ wrestlers. So what is your wrestling style? Do you destroy your opponents like the centipede, the snake, the scorpion, the lizard, or the toad?

Bryan Manson: I describe my style as Global. I use different moves from various styles. If my opponent is assaulting me with uppercuts and haymakers, I employ my own brutal brawling technique. If my foe is using submission holds and suplexes, I counter with my own technical prowess. However, the inverse works best with larger or quicker wrestlers, respectively. I use power moves on smaller wrestlers and quicker moves on larger wrestlers.

The Serious Tip: So there ain’t no father to your style, kinda like the Ol’ Dirty Bastard. However, because I think you kinda have to emulate someone, who is Bryan Manson’s all-time favorite wrestler? Hopefully it is not Jimmy the King from Ready to Rumble.
Bryan Manson: Wow… that’s a tough one. There are many wrestlers who I enjoy to watch and have influenced my own wrestling, but of all-time, my favorite would have to be the
British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith. His combination of power and agility not only made his matches enjoyable, but influences my style and challenges me to improve.

The Serious Tip: Favorite current wrestler? Kevin Federline, perhaps?

Bryan Manson: As far as today’s wrestlers go, I would have a tie between Carlito and Shelton Benjamin. Both men are fairly early in their careers and, with their talents, have extremely bright futures.




To know more about this wrestling phenom, check out The Serious Tip’s next Monday with Manson next week. Of course, I will be posting other news and commentary throughout the week, so stay tuned and thanks for swinging by.