Saturday, January 2, 2010

My favorite lists of 2009

Welcome to 2010. The year they name movies after. We are now officially in the future.

I have quite a few projects in the works for the next few weeks. Among them a few posts, maybe a few webcasts, and maybe even an appearance or two on other sites.

But, to kick off 2010, here are four of my favorite "Best of" list posts that were featured on the Web in the last week of 2009:

1) The Catchphrase of the Decade - Slate.com

As a big fan of wordplay and word patterns, I liked this article. Written by Ron Rosenbaum, it dissects a lot of the catchphrases, cliches, and jargon that we've used in the last 10 years. Because of overuse, many of these phrases, which may have started innocent enough, have lost their meaning. Among my favorites are "fifteen minutes of fame", "under the bus", and "out of the box".

2) The Decade in Tampa Bay Music - Creative Loafing

I have no excuse for not knowing more about the Tampa Bay music scene. When I was in Tallahassee, I knew of almost every local band in town. For whatever reason, I haven't gotten into supporting the Tampa Bay scene. I need to. Now thanks to Creative Loafing and writer Joran Oppelt, I have a great primer for knowing who's who and what's what locally.

3) The 2009 "Best Post" Blogging Retrospective - SteadyBurn.net

The folks over at SteadyBurn scoured the sports blogosphere to find what they considered the best of 2009. There are some really good posts in here too, although they focused mostly on the humorous, light-hearted, and irreverent side of the sports blogosphere.

4) Quotes of the Year 2009 - ESPN.com (h/t The Big Lead)

Lastly, from ESPN, here are the best sports quotes of 2009. I would have liked to see a "quotes of the decade" list. Personally, my favorite quote comes from basketball player Lorenzen Wright in 2006. When asked if he was worried if couldn't win over all the fans of a new team, Wright replied,

"Some people are steak people and some people only like fish, if I am steak and they are fish people, they might not like me very much."