Monday, January 13, 2020

Music to My Years by Cristela Alonzo Review



How do you review a book about someone's life? It is their story. There is no way I could possibly say they didn't tell their story the right way.

But if there is a right way to tell a life story, it is in comedian Cristela Alonzo's book Music to My Years.

Music to My Years is part biography, part musical journey. Cristela breaks down parts of her life by the songs that meant the most to her during those times, from the Golden Girls theme song to a song off the latest Tribe Called Quest album. Each song is like an episode that defines who Cristela is.

Personal backstory: I only "discovered" Cristela about a year ago. I think I saw a clip of her on Comedy Central social media and then followed her Instagram and twitter. I don't watch much TV, so I had no idea she had a show on network TV. I had no idea how long she had done comedy and I had no idea of her backstory. Everything about her was new to me. I just knew she was funny.

As I followed her on social media, I got a feeling about how real she is. Her near-daily social media chronicles her going to Pilates, going to Wal-Mart, going to Disney World, etc. Everything in her life seems so normal. I go to the gym, I go to Wal-Mart, and I have been to Disney.

Celebrities, they are just like you!

Although she has been successful, Cristela doesn't seem like a big shot celebrity. She seems like a real person who really cares about her family and friends. That same persona comes through in her book. She honestly discusses her fears, anxieties, and successes. She talks about the things that held her back, the times she fought to move forward, and the times success made her cry tears of joy.

All of this with a dash of humor and musical trivia.

My background could not be more different than Cristela's. Whereas she grew up poor in a Texas border town, I grew up on Long Island and Central Florida in white middle class suburbia. Everyone I aspired to be either looked like me or was at least my gender. Society never told me "no". So to read Cristela's hopes and dreams was aspiring and made me root for her even more.

Although our roots are different, I could relate to Cristela's career struggle. For the last 10 years, I have been pushing to find a stable career. Something I enjoy, something fulfilling, and somewhere they want me to succeed. Even with two master's degrees and international experience, I have had 9 jobs in 9 years. I live in a small apartment with used furniture and a TV that is old enough to vote because I am not willing to compromise. I want a job that allows me to thrive, not one that is paint by numbers. I will be successful, I guarantee. Just don't put me in a box.

Like Cristela, I have turned down great opportunities because I didn't think they were good fits.

Like Cristela, certain songs have defined who I am. For example, here is a story I have never told before.

In late 2005, I was finishing up my first master's degree. My master's thesis was a 90+ page paper on the Kurdish Peshmerga - the military forces in Northern Iraq. I worked long and hard, burying myself in the university library for weeks on end. I was there so often I was on a first name basis with the library staff. I finally submitted my paper in late November. A few weeks later I was scheduled to defend my research before a panel of professors. Even though I was confident, the ordeal was still stressful.

On the day of my defense, I drove to campus listening to Leela James's song "Long Time Coming" off her first album A Change is Gonna Come. If you have never heard Leela, she is an amazing throwback to when R&B had soul. Her voice comes from the days of Aretha Frankin and Marvin Gaye.

Long Time Coming is one of the last songs on her first album, but I think it is one of the most powerful. It starts out with a blast of horns and then rides into a very funky guitar. After a few moments Leela begins to talk, and then sing one of the most personally inspirational songs I have heard.

Ya'll this evening
Ante up, time to let the trumpets sound
Crown me later, I'm a take my crown now
Been writing for 'bout 10 yrs now
And finally the real truth is coming out
You can't stop it 'cause this is God's plan
I know some of y'all just don't understand
And now ya twisted, can't believe it's me
Get it, it's Leela sho nuff
It's been a long time since ya heard it like this
It's been a long time since ya felt it like this
It's been a long time since ya seen it like this
'Cause ain't nobody bringing it quite like this
I've been praying for a time like this
And I've been waiting for a time like this
I've been talking 'bout a time like this

The entire song is about Leela's struggle to get where she is. On my way to my first academic defense, I didn't want to listen to anything aggressive or anything that would cause me to be too hyped, but I wanted to feel confident. "Long Time Coming" was the perfect song at the perfect time. Every time I have heard it since, I think of that drive to campus in my suit and tie, copies of my thesis in hand, ready to answer any questions about my research the board may have.

Although there were a few questions I stumbled on, I did well. One of the professors even said my thesis was one of the best he had read in a long time. My thesis was approved and I passed my graduate program. A few weeks later I walked across the stage at the graduation ceremony, ready to take on the world.

I like to think Leela James had something to do with my graduation.

Cristela Alonzo's book Music to My Years is all about moments like that. I recommend it.