Wednesday, August 26, 2015

When the AfroSquad almost made Creative Loafing



I was rummaging through some old emails recently and I found an interesting correspondence. Back in 2008, when the Afro-Squad was running wild at pro wrestling shows throughout Central Florida, I emailed a writer for Tampa alternative publication Creative Loafing and invited him to check us out. I thought our colorful cast of characters and devoted fans would make an interesting story.

Alas, although they liked the idea, the story never came to be. The writer moved on as did Florida Championship Wrestling. Most of the Afro-Squad also moved on, some actually moving and others removing their afro wigs and drifting away, like small sailboats in the dark night.

But for the annuals of history, here is the correspondence I had with Creative Loafing:

December 1, 2008
Hi Jordi,

My name is xxxxxxx -- I am the staff writer for the Creative Loafing
newspaper here in Tampa. I was forwarded an e-mail you sent us about your
wild wrestling group. I took a look at the site and -- yep -- you definitely
fit our paper ;-)

I'd love to come to a Thursday meet up and see what your group is all about.
When are they? And what's a good date?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

My reply:

December 2, 2008
xxxxxx,

We would definitely like to meet with you. We meet regularly at the Florida Championship Wrestling (FCW) show on Thursday night at 7:30pm. FCW is located at 4535 South Dale Mabry, Tampa, FL 33611. We will probably be there between 6:30-7pm. You should be able to recognize us by our afro wigs.

Of note, FCW regularly does TV tapings for broadcasts on cable TV. These tapings usually draw a larger crowd (hence more people in afros) and we are able to better interact more with the crowd and the performers. I have been told that next Thursday will be a taping and that the show this week is merely a "house" show - without the full-out wrestling production.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me or call me any night after 6pm at ###-####.

Thanks,

And that was all.